On 5/15/2015 7:54 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> OTOH, I could be tempted to throw more $ at it, and get a South Bend 8k
> from Grizzly, on sale for a hair under 2g's, but by the time it would be
> up and running by LCNC, I'd have around 5g's in it.  Just the stand is
> another $930, and the same size chuck I have now is another $250.
> Carriage drive screw is 38"/965mm long, so the cheap 16mm I have now
> would grow to a 25mm and to around $300. No clue how much room for the
> crossfeed screw could be found.

A close examination of that "South Bend" looks like it's dipped into the
9x parts bin for the saddle and compound slide. Everything else is
different.

Different bed, tailstock and headstock. Drive belt is poly-V so that's
better. Timing belts instead of change gears are quieter and cleaner but
it doesn't even have the half-way 9 speed gearbox most of the 9x lathes do.

What they needed to do is what I wrote in another e-mail.
Start with the typical 9x.
Add two lever gearbox.
Add reverse gear.
4 bolt or round dovetail compound mount.
Change weedy belt to poly-V.
Make it look nicer.

Those few things would make a quite nice lathe. Grizz-Bend just did the
belt and spent a lot on making it look nicer. Altering almost all the
parts of a poor design without actually improving the poor design
doesn't make a better lathe. Might be more rigid, have more power and
more expensive spindle bearings but all the *easy to fix* faults are
still there.

The lathe is a turd with a very expensive polish, no wonder they're
trying to get rid of them at a big discount. If they'd design a gearbox
and reverse retrofit kit, and ditch the timing belt drive to the lead
screw, the investment could be salvaged - but it'd still have the 8"
swing working against it.

Perhaps they didn't want to make it "too good", thinking it might
"cannibalize sales" from more expensive models. Same dumbarse thinking
Apple Computer did with crippling the hardware of lower models like the
IIsi, LC and LC-II so they wouldn't take sales away from the upper
models like the IIci and IIfx. Yeahhhh, sure. As if anyone back in the
90's contemplating dropping $10K on a Mac would ever have for a second
considered buying anything but the IIfx.

Someone looking to buy a 10" or larger lathe is not going to buy a 9" or
8" no matter how it's equipped.

Crippling smaller/cheaper products' design mostly serves to get a
company stuck with a bunch of product that doesn't sell as well as it
would had it not been deliberately poorly designed.

---