On 6/4/2015 2:38 PM, Viesturs Lācis wrote:
>> OK, perhaps I should have said another computer, rather than another PC.
>> Androids are computers.  Still, you need another machine to run the machine
>> that runs the machine.
> Yeah, I agree, it requires one more device. It is just that I have an
> impression that very many people to the west from me already do have
> tablets and similar stuff at their possession, so no extra spending
> there. And there are some cheap options available also in eastern
> Europe (BTW total amount of 100 eur tablet + BBB is less than a full
> kit of PC, including monitor etc).
> And with such a wireless device you can easily take "the screen" with
> you around the workshop and work on something else, while keeping eye
> on what is going on.
>
> Viesturs

Tablets are getting to be crazy cheap.

Picture this....  you have your CNC controller running in a black box
(Sandy Box.. whatever) tethered to a tablet.   Your tablet screen screws
up.   You grab another tablet, download the frontend app from the Apple
store or Google store, link it to the black box and you are up and
running again with a new touch screen front end.

I'm not saying that this is a solution for every machine - certainly
not.  But for a machine that requires a small touch screen this could be
ideal and greatly ease maintenance.

 >>many people to the west from me already do have tablets and similar
stuff at their possession

You are right..     :-)   The building supply store near me sells
Android Tablets...  no kidding!

Dave

---