On 8/12/2015 6:22 AM, John Alexander Stewart wrote:

> 5) I've a larger, stronger lathe (a big brother to the Unimat - an Emco
> Compact-8) that is my target lathe for CNC; not sure if I'm going to
> develop the Unimat further.

That's what the Denford ORAC was based on. Somewhere there's a forum
thread with a full teardown of an ORAC.

You *can* mill out the existing channel in the saddle for a ball screw,
but it has to be a quite small one.

That's why I decided to CNC my $50 JET 9x20 rather than try to get an
ORAC - especially because I don't care for the way Denford did the cross
slide. They cut about the back 1/3 off it and its stroke is limited, no
way to mount rear tooling and a gang tooling plate would also be
limited. I'm going to mount mine in tension to make it a bit stiffer.

---