Peter;

I am attempting to setup a new control chain for my lathes spindle.  One
that will be a bunch simpler in the hal file.

The 5i25's pwmgen actually has a duty cycle range from about 1% to 98% of
so.

So if I am using a scale factor there, to tame the axis big jumps when
clicking on the + and - buttons, it seems to me that the value I apply
to a limit2 in front of your 5i25 pwmgen should also be scaled up by
this same scale factor.

Right?

So if I am using a scale of 2000, then that limit should be scaled up to
preserve the duty cycle range while at the same time assuring it never
gets to 100%.  In fact if I load both of the limits by just inverting
the sign of the ini's S_SCALE for the - limit of that limit2, its should
then automatically track.

Given that I have established that but not made it hal code yet, then it
seems like I should be able to scale the pid.s.FF0 such that an s100m3
gets me about 100 rpm, and an s1200m3 gets me just about full scale. The
gearing is such that wide open is about 1250 revs in high backgear.

But with the encoder feedback applied, the pid.s.error is a huge - factor
that is about the pid.s.command value inverted.  Any Pgain slows it a
huge amount, with Pgain = 0.0125 slowing it like a divide by 5.

So, what is the trick to get it to run at the approximately correct speed
at s100 and s1000, with a pid.s.error floating at about a noisy 0.000
for both speeds?  I am trimming the low speed with the pid.s.bias, which
I do based on the requested direction in my .hal file.  Figures in the
range of 0.026 plus and minus are fairly close.  15 rpm seems doable but
variable.

Right now I seem to be in a tunnel, and can't even discern the headlight
of an oncoming train.  Not even sure there a train running on this
track!

Playing with pid.s.FF0 seems to hold some promise, but the results don't
fit the data I am getting.  So if you have a spare bone, throw it my way
please.

Thanks Peter.