On 09/11/2015 03:59 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 11 September 2015 at 05:33, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
>> One hopefully last question then Andy, can hal or axis do the math such
>> that there is one master place to specify this "scale", and set the
>> pid's maxoutput to 0.98 * scale?
>

> No, but yes.
>
> Mathematical expressions are not allowed in a HAL file.
> Unless the HAL file is a TCL HAL file...
> http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/haltcl.html

the 1st line in the referenced url says the halcmd language
"offers no computational capabilities"

which is a bit confusing
( slight of hand, it says halcmd not haltcl )

but certainly the later example
shows the haltcl language can do math
"""
setp scale.0.gain "6.28 / 360.0 * $::AXIS_0(radius) * 60.0"
"""

I'd have to try the section on auto-converting
from .hal to .tcl by simple find&replace.
Hard to believe its sufficient, but I bet its useful beginning.
I'm not from Missouri but E.StLouis was just across the river ;)
( who's afraid of the big bad tickle? :)
TomP tjtr33