On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 11:47 AM, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
wrote:

> And there in a nutshell is the reason Windows and Macs  outnumber Linux for
> PCs used by almost everyone.  Forcing someone to use the command line
> interface for a graphical user interface application is embedded into the
> brain of the Linux fans as "not a problem".  It is a problem!  A huge one!

Windows and Macs are very good at anticipating what you'll need and
providing a convenient GUI to accomplish that. The flip side of this is
that if your need happens not to be anticipated, you're Simply Out of Luck.
There's a nice way of saying this: "easy things are easy, but difficult
things are nigh impossible".
By the way, I use commandline on Windows a lot; pray tell, how to check
your IP address? You can click around in the network drivers trying to
remember how to get them up in this particular version of Windows, or just
hit the Windows key, and type cmd, and ipconfig. In general, I find it much
faster to use the Windows key and type the command (whether it's "word",
"firefox", "device manager", or whatever else), than hunt for the
particular place where this Windows and this user decided to place the
relevant icon. This is the part that people who complain about Windows 8
are missing---it simply doesn't matter that icons keep moving around if you
use the keyboard to say what you want.

> But for the Linux proponent I'm a troglodyte who just hasn't found the
> light
> of the wonders of Linux.

No, I do not consider you any of those things---I think people here just
are trying to tell you that you should learn that skill because it will
make you more productive. Maybe you'll even contribute a GUI shortcut for
the things that wre most annoying to you.