I Agree!  For the same reason seeing windows MACH3 hang and the USB smooth
stepper continue to send out stepping pulses on the Z throwing the machine
alignment out as it pushes against the table.  (router bit not turning and
didn't break).

An ESTOP and limits have to be part of the hardware interface side of the
equation.    And there has to be enough intelligence to let the trajectory
planner know what has happened.  Even with as simple a feature as a remote
feed hold button.

One can't just send large blocks of motion information to the target
hardware and then tap feed hold and wait for 30 seconds worth of queued
motion to play out.  By the same token the graphic display and trajectory
planner needs to know when the hardware did actually stop so it can rewind
back to that point and start again.  So it's a tightly  coupled closed loop
control.  All currently done on one computer with access to both sets of
data structures for motion commands and motion implementation.

But the future _is_ separate drive and interface.   When I have some time
I'll look further into this.

John