On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

>> All it takes is a bit of interference in the band of radios waves
>> those devices use.  I still prefer hardwired connections rather than
>> trusting radio waves on stuff like that.  Or, as you mentioned, the
>> batteries.  It only has to happen once.
>>
>> Mark
>
> This also is true, but I am not in an industrial environment where such
> interference is at all common.  Whats in the shop or garage is not of
> course semi-shielded by the alu siding on this house and would be 10+ db
> more susceptible.  This is a relatively quiet, 50 yards from the city
> limits residential area, with more electronics here than exists anyplace
> but a fast food place in the whole town, a physical limit enforced by a
> huge to me hill that only small children could negotiate, very thick
> brush, but don't as its also multiflora rose and copperhead country.  So
> here, that interference has not been a problem. I think that isolation
> from technology is without a doubt a good thing for me.
>
> I have no experience in a busy job shop with 5 or more machines in the
> same big room.  In the shop in the back yard, the toy mill and the lathe
> are about 4 feet apart, but the lathe is the only wireless equipt
> machine.  The operating position of the toy mill is actually above the
> right end of its table, so I can see it well while jogging with my right
> hand.  No need for the radios.
>
> In the garage with the GO704, I do need to put up a sheet of lexan to
> deflect airborne swarf between the operating position and the machine as
> it would help keep swarf out of both the keyboard and my coffee cup. :)
>
> OTOH, the spindle motors max at 1 hp here, are the strongest motors
> involved. All could throw a key on startup plenty hard enough to hurt.
>
> Axis motors are more than strong enough to break or crush tools though. I
> sheared a 4 mm capscrew sunday by leaving something on the bellows I had
> added to better shield the Y ball screw from debris, so they are
> certainly capable of crushing a wayward finger.  One of todays projects
> I think along with finding a fly cutter to level the front of that jig
> addition installed yesterday. And I need to make some narrow, say 5"
> wide, binder high pocket shelving additions to the "furniture" for
> holding gcode manuals and printouts of some of the files so I don't
> forget what it was I was doing. :)
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Gene,

Like I said, it's my dislike for radio waves in an environment where
they are the connection between the controller and the machine.  Being
a radio tech in the USAF, working with both voice radios and ECM gear,
I know it doesn't take much to disrupt communications, both voice and
data.  Voice is a little more forgiving than data.  If a voice
transmission is disrupted/corrupted, you can ask for a repeat.  If a
data transmission is corrupted, the machine isn't always smart enough
to ask for a repeat - it may take the corrupted packet as legit.

There may not be any commercial or residential interference nearby
you, but there's that really big interference generator 93 million
miles away from your doorstep that appears every day.  ;-)

When something absolutely has to have a solid connection, whether it's
controller to machine, or keyboard to the controller, you just can't
beat a good shielded hardware connection between the two.

Mark

--
One Man, One Machine, One Computer!  <VBSEG>