Greetings all;

The Tormach ER20 adaptor will be more than enough extension to clear
everything, so that problem is solved, and I am about to go carve up a
kilobucks worth of Mahogany.  But I was unable to come up with a fly
cutter to level the addition to the front of the jig, so that needs to
be addressed before I actually mount a piece of Mahogany into it.

I punched a small hole in a contact piece of PCB on my jig yesterday, and
I want to see if I can come up with a "g53 g1 f20 xn yn zn" command that
will put the machine in a position to find, by G38.2 means the contact
references on the jig, from which all other moves are then referenced.

I intend to leave the G54 mapping untouched from that determined when the
machine is homed.  My code is not now doing that, so a rerun finds the
default G54 map AFU on the 2nd run after the tool change.  Hence the
damage to the contact, but its slightly over an inch square so I'll just
move it 50 thou to an undamaged spot.  BTDT on the toy mill too.

And to make all the other moves from settings done in the
G10 L2 P2 #x #y #z using G55 mapping.

This so that I can reload the routine after setting a trigger variable to
tell it I have changed tools and that the exact same code can be
re-used, but with a tool_diameter of perhaps .005" and a reduced to
single pass depth cut nominally 0.125" below the top of the board.

The tool change is from a .250" end mill, to a sharp pointed 1/8" radius
roundover shape.  So the tool_diameter becomes the diameter of the tip,
quite sharp.  The depth of cut is then such that the outside wing of the
roundover is right at the surface of the board.

Am I on the right track if its homed when I run it the first time,
to do this initial move to the contact points on the jig using the
G53 G1 F20 x# y#
G53 G1 z#
to drop the tool near the contacts
Then, still adjusting only G55 with a G10 L2 P2 #x|#y|#z as the G38.2's
run, using the results in the #53xx array to reset G10 L2 p2 (G55) and
then doing the rest of the routine in G55 mapping.

Will this be repeatable over multi-runs without all that re-homing by
switching back to G54 for those moves on pass/tool 2?

I think one of the mistakes in my code is the modifying the G10 L2 P1
(G54) mapping, which for repeat runs is doing an AFU to where the
machine goes as the original home position has been destroyed by
diddling with the G54 mapping.  I'll march thru it come daylight and fix
that.

Am I making sense?

I had thought a G92.1 wouild cause a restore, but that doesn't appear to
be a solution. I doubt if I fully understand what it actually does.

Also, there is not a tool image for the backplot that would represent
this tool, that I know of, unless the tool table has grown the ability
to specify a suitable image as opposed to the tool diameter cylinder it
uses now.  Wishfull thinking?  Future feature perhaps?

Thanks all.