On Thursday 24 September 2015 08:27:17 andy pugh wrote:

> On 24 September 2015 at 10:09, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Am I making sense?
>
> Well, you have certainly confused me.
>
> But if you are talking about using probe results to set G54, then that
> is a normal thing to do.

But I want to preserve g54's inital mapping so I have a recovery for the
next tool ability, so when I am done with this edit session, g54 will
not have been touched, and G55 will be used as the remapped co-ordinate
system.  That way, on a rerun after changing the tool and setting the
new tool true with an editor, I still have  g54 to use to find the g38.2
targets without wrecking the targets.

So any diddling of maps will be done with a G10 L2 P2 axis's which will
adjust G55, leaving G54 in the as homed condition. IOW do the probing
while G54 is in effect, but modify G55 with the results of the probing.

Is that clearer?

> What I normally do is run probe_hole (in the samples) as that parks
> the machine in the middle of the hole at the end, then I just "set
> origin" in Touchy to zero (which is a G10 L...) command.

This is hand coded as there isn't a hole, but 2  sides and the screw in
the bottom holding it, half of a brass cube for the 1/4" end mill work,
and nothing but a pcb for a z contact when the tool has been changed to
the pointed roundover.  The only 2 other things that are changed is the
tool_diameter and the z_depth, after the tool length has been found by a
G38.2.

> I keep meaning to install the pretty probe screen.

I looked at that too, and may, if I don't forget about it.  But too, I
want to bring in the camera I knocked off the toy and put it on this
machine. Theres lots of space inside the bottom of the head casting on
the GO704, might even be enough to hide the C920 if I can make it work
on this machine but have not yet managed that trick.  But that is a
couple priority ranks below making this gcode Just Work(TM). ;-)

Thanks Andy.