Gene,

What's the depth of field with those?

I bought one of the $20 amazon "endoscopes". I was really disappointed in
the depth of field. I have played with real endoscopes, and the amazing
thing about them is their depth of field is from .5" to infinity. This one
had a focal distance of about 4 inches and less than 6 inches of good depth
of field.

jerry

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 12:10 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> I had one of those "colonoscopy" cameras you could buy on ebay for about
> $22 USD on my toy mill, and had it pretty well calibrated but hadn't put
> it to any real use as yet when I knocked it loose with an errant hold
> down bolt on that furniture joint carving jig.  I'd been meaning to
> restore it as it also came loose in its teeny little tubular housing and
> would need so rtv to  glue it back into the tubing so the cable couldn't
> pull it out the rear if the cable hung up.  But making an alignable
> mounting was also a PITA, so its been waiting for me to find a round
> tuit.
>
> But I also had the interest in the back of my mind, so when some
> supposedly hidef webcams showed up on ebay for <$9 USD, I just had to
> see if it was a any good.  Having been caught, unable to buy spares when
> this one was damaged, I thought I'd buy one for each machine and a
> spare, so I bought 4 of them.  They arrived yesterday, and I found that
> cheese no longer runs on this machine, which is wheezy with TDE
> replacing KDE.  TDE is a fork of KDE at about the 3.5 level, and
> improvements have conentrated on bug fixing and stability, which they
> are doing a decent job of, I am not bleeding from all the paper cuts the
> new KDE4 or 5 is inflicting on its users.
>
> Anyway, installing  cheese pulled in about 50 more dep files totalling 25
> megabytes, and it still segfaults.  But I took the camera out and
> plugged it into the Dell 745, installed cheese there and it works quite
> well, so I believe it will work with camview and friends too.
>
> Its about a fat inch in diameter & 2" long, and the 640x480 image cheese
> can show me is lots closer to realtime than the older camera ever was.
> Color too is excellent, amazing for a camera that sold for less than 8
> dollars with free shipping.  But I see its up to $8.88 in the two weeks
> since I bought these. 10% discount for 2 or more. That would make it
> $31.96 USD, which is what I paid for 4 of them.
>
> <
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-12-Megapixel-HD-Camera-Web-Cam-360-MIC-Clip-on-for-Skype-Computer-Laptop-PC-/291379169306
> ?>
>
> Get them while they last folks.
>
> When I get the rest of the mills problems under control, that might be
> the next project as its small enough I can hide it inside the hollow
> bottom of the head casting of this GO704.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Jerry Scharf