On Sunday 11 October 2015 14:32:08 John Thornton wrote:

> Wow that is a mess...

You are being too kind..

> the first thing I noticed is your wrapping your
> code with % AND using a program end M2. You only use one or the other.
> M2 resets a bunch of things (see the manual) and %% does not.

It doesn't matter it seems, everything I write, regardless of the
termination line, fusses about a "file ended with no percent sign."  So
I have no idea how to get rid of that squawk.

> I commented out the G38 and corresponding G10 lines and the back plot
> as viewed from Z is perfectly over the preview. The reason your back
> plot is shifted in the X and Y directions is on line 128 and 131 you
> set a G10 L2 which shifts the G54 coordinate system over.

Intended, although not mandatory, I intended to make it immune to the
removal, and replacement, of the jig on the table.  Its keyed to a
t-slot on both ends, so y alignment is always within a couple thou, but
not equipt with a stop stick to slide it against the end of a slot to
establish a repeatable X location.  The G38.2 stuff is repeatable to
half a thou or better, but I am not married to it.  What I would love to
be able to do is to marry the G38.2 to the touch off function right in
the gcode, including a way to cancel it so it has to redo it on every
run startup.  That way I could still use the G38.2 to find the jig, but
establish the touch-off's zero point at a fixed offset.  Having all
values fixed at one corner of the work, in this case to the left rear
corner, without ever a sign reversal except to run it to a plus value so
the bit clears the back of the workpiece as it retraces back to the
starting point. All cuts are climb cuts, digs are obviously dangerous in
wood.

Right now, I am so disappointed in the rapids this machine can do, that I
think I will spend the afternoon seeing if I can get some more speed out
of it w/o following errors.  More Pgain yet seems to be the answer.

But relatively little except what Peter has written to me, gives a good
overview of setting up a stepper system in velocity mode.  Our docs need
some TLC in that dept as they all seem to be aimed at position servo's,
which use the pid differently.

So thats this afternoons project, try & get more than 35 IPM out of it.
I's so far out of kilter right now that feed override doesn't actually
reduce the speed till its below 65%.

> I think your having way too much fun writing G code! My normal way to
> run G code is to touch off and set the X and Z offsets so that X0 is
> the left side of the material, Y0 is the back side of the material and
> Z0 is the top of the material. This way I just have to create G code
> that assumes that X0 is the left side and Y0 is the back side and Z0
> is the top side.

I could I think, rig a different corner contact set on the board locator
bar, one that sets a pcb wrapper around the (clean, no whiskers sticking
out) left rear corner of the board, so it drops into place with the jigs
locator bar, and G38.2 to that, adding the nominally 0.063" offset that
is the PCB thickness to the touch-off.  Or adding this gauges offsets to
the touchoff, either way would be fine.

But this all depends on a way to do a touch-off in gcode, including
clearing it back to zero so G53 and G54 are again equal.

Has anyone here produced some M1nn codes to do that?  Or is that missing
from the halcmd language?

Thanks a bunch John.  Your thoughts are educational, and welcome.