On Sunday 11 October 2015 16:55:11 John Thornton wrote:

> On 10/11/2015 2:14 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 11 October 2015 14:32:08 John Thornton wrote:
> >> the first thing I noticed is your wrapping your
> >> code with % AND using a program end M2. You only use one or the
> >> other. M2 resets a bunch of things (see the manual) and %% does
> >> not.
> >
> > It doesn't matter it seems, everything I write, regardless of the
> > termination line, fusses about a "file ended with no percent sign."
> > So I have no idea how to get rid of that squawk.
>
> I just removed the %'s from your file with no complaints. The only
> time you get that error is if you don't have a Program End either M2
> or M30. I don't think M30 does anything different that M2 so I prefer
> to use M2.
>
> > But this all depends on a way to do a touch-off in gcode, including
> > clearing it back to zero so G53 and G54 are again equal. Has anyone
> > here produced some M1nn codes to do that? Or is that missing from
> > the halcmd language? Thanks a bunch John. Your thoughts are
> > educational, and welcome. Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> I'm just suggesting that you run a touch off program to "set up" your
> coordinate system then run your part program and let it clear any
> offsets at the end. This way when you open the program the preview and
> backplot will match.

Reading up on the G92 functions, these look like the gcode equ of a
manual touch-off.

So how about I home that machine, then run it manually to the left edge
of the mounted board, and set a G92 X0.125 at that point, then do the
same with Y, setting the center of the .250 diameter tool at 0.125 and
Z0.0 with it touching a .002" feeler laid on top of the board?  Homing
the machine does not clear those, so a rehome would give me a set of DRO
readings I could mirror the values of and put into effect before the
code ever moves the machine.  This assumes the machine is sitting at
home when the program is loaded.

Redo the program so that all X's are then referenceing that zero & mostly
positive, and all the Y's reference that new zero, but except for the
clearance move when retracing to the left, will be negative.

Then at the exit, do a G92.1 to remove/clear the offsets.
So all the g92 work will be done before the machine is ever moved off
home.

Would that result in an overlaid preview?

I'll play with it some later today Just for S&G.

Except for Z, I have it moving at about twice the speed as before. Z
needs air spring help, and probably at least 100 volts on that big a
motor to be able to match the speed of X & Y.  But to do that, the DM860
driver would have to be upgraded to a higher voltage driver.