> At the moment the PC based LinuxCNC systems are better supported with newer
> releases compared to the Beagle.

Having LinuxCNC on my router for 3+ years and Machinekit in my 3d
printer for over a year, I agree to all of John's points except for
this one. New LinuxCNC
releases with major new functions etc (not bugfix releases) take more
than a year, while
there are no releases for Machinekit, there are prebuilt packages that
are created daily, so you may guess, how quickly each of these
projects incorporates some new functions in their final released form.
Take the new trajectory
planner as an example - it took a long time for LinuxCNC to get it
officially released, while it has been in Machinekit since day 1 (yes,
I do not count LinuxCNC's buildbot packages, because they are not
official releases, they are not meant for "normal users"). So I do not
understand, what exactly do you
mean with a statement that LinuxCNC is better supported. IMHO there is
no way to measure the effectiveness of support, they both are very
well supported, it is just that they go slightly different routes on
how that is done.

Regarding OP's question - yes, IMHO it is easier to find suitable PC
(most probably you already have one laying somewhere around) and with
Mesa 5i25 and most basic LPT breakout board you will have great
controller. Unfortunately there is no hardware graphics acceleration
available on BBB, so you will have mediocre graphical performance
there, unless you run your GUI on a remote device, but that seems to
be out of "beginner machine" limitations.

Viesturs