On 10/16/2015 11:21 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> 1: I am trying to get past the infamous, permanently programmed into LCNC
> error of:
>
> "length of cutter compensation entry move is less than the tools radius"
>
> The tool diameter in the tool_table is 0.030 just for test.  and the tool
> table entry contains no TLO, nor am I using an G41 D0, plain old G41.
> The code has a G40 in its preamble.

Here's where this is discussed in the documentation, see
section 3 at the bottom of the page :

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/tool-compensation.html

There's also this :
http://www.gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/mill04.html

There used to be a page on this that had something from Ray Henry and an
example by me, but I can't find it, it may have been edited out over the years.

> And the next x or y move after invoking a G41 is several inches away.
> There is also an intervening z move of a few inches, so it has literally
> feet of motion to bring in the compensation.  The first move after its
> invocation is I believe, a z move that could be as little as 50 thou
> depending on where the machine is sitting.  OTOH it could be more than
> 7" in Z, and 18 in x, or 3" in y while its still up in the air above the
> workpiece.
What you need is a slightly convex edge for the lead-in.  In
other words, an OUTSIDE corner.
If there is an inside corner, no matter how shallow, it will
cause a gouge message.  Now, the specific message seems to
be confusing.  Z moves don't count for G41/G42, ONLY X-Y
axis moves, because the radius of the cutter only exists in
the X-Y plane.
> 2: In the manual, it speaks of left and right compensation, and I am
> having a hard time wrapping my head around the corelation of that
> language to "climb" or "dig" cutting.
If you were walking behind the cutter, is the cutter to the
left or right of the material?  That's what cutter to left
of material means.  So, I guess with standard cutters that
run CW looking down on the work, and climb-cutting, then the
cutter is left of the work.

Jon