On Saturday 17 October 2015 00:21:32 Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]

> If tool compensation can really be made to work, it would simplicate
> at least 100 LOC out of this program.  Already has, but I'm now adding
> more stuff to make sure there is turn around room at the ends of the
> cut sweeps.  But tomorrow is another day.  I am pleased with todays
> progress.

This was that tommorrow.  I kept getting closer & closer, but I've come
to 3 conclusions.

1. I need a roundover tool with a slightly larger radii, these are 1/8",
bought because the 1/4" tool leaves a 1/8" radius cut at an inside
corner, and I need perhaps a  5/32 or even a 3/16, but those seem to be
made of pure unobtainium.

2. This tool, at 2500 revs, if it does have a sharp point, needs to be
fed quite a bit slower than 20 IPM, the tip is just rolling on the wood,
leaving a line of whiskers to clean off.  So tommorrow I'll add a
roundover feed rate thats about 1/8th the 1/4" tools 20 ipm feed rate to
see if that will result in a cleaner cut.

3. I need to add a radius move at the inner end of the fingers pockets, a
bit over and above what the tool comp does, its squaring up that inside
corner too much.  That isn't hurting anything but it does look funkity
when the joints are brought together.  And THAT will be fun, NOT.

4. I had a mouse run into the garage a couple days ago while I was doing
some house cleaning & trash bagging.  So I went to Shop & Save & got the
only re-usable mouse traps they had, the other choices being sticky pads
or DeCon.  Made out of thin galvanized steel these days, a very very
poor design.  I've been bending parts around to make them more
sensitive, but so far all I am doing is furnishing a 2 location daily
buffet of peanut butter, which its repeatedly cleaning off the trip pans
because they are so damned hard to trip. The basic problem is that the
wire holding the spring loaded bail open, has its anchor point about 3x
farther away from the bail wire than the old style wooden trap, so the
leverage it puts on the trip wire is sufficient to actually lift the pan
back into position as long as its not standing on the pan with all 4
feet.

I take it they were designed to be a buffet table by the humane society,
not to kill mice. :(