On Saturday 17 October 2015 23:17:40 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 10/17/2015 09:47 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > So I went to Shop & Save & got the only re-usable mouse
> > traps they had, the other choices being sticky pads or
> > DeCon. Made out of thin galvanized steel these days, a
> > very very poor design. I've been bending parts around to
> > make them more sensitive, but so far all I am doing is
> > furnishing a 2 location daily buffet of peanut butter,
>
> Plain peanut butter doesn't work.  What you need is chunky.
> The peanut butter smell attracts them, but you have to embed
> a chuck of peanut in the claw of the Victor traps with the
> metal trip part. When they try to dig that chunk of peanut
> out, then the trap will trip.  When I detect mice around, I
> freshly bait the traps, and usually hear a snap within 20
> minutes.
>
> Jon

These aren't victor traps, and it is chunky, but I haven't tried to
actually trap a hunk under the claw.  If this set fails, I'll stick a
piece of english walnut under the claw & cover it with chunky PB.

But tonight I need to go dump the plastic rain gauge, its supposedly
freezing here, but the airport temp 20 miles north is 40F.  Figures.