On 11/05/2015 09:31 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 05 November 2015 21:55:00 MC Cason wrote:
>
>> Gene,
>>
>>     I uploaded some pictures to Flickr, to show you how I have mine
>> done:
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/46689581@N03/albums/72157660780465122
>>
> Neat. But I'll need to come up with a more compact mounting for a bunch
> of them to run a tool changer.  Perf-board likely will be about ideal
> but I'll need to find space on that size of perf-board for at least a 5
> pack of those.  I can still conserve I/O pins on a 5i25 by useing 3 bits
> as an address generator and 3 more for enable/step/dir.  I don't see
> more than one motor moving at a time, but with conventional wiring, a 5
> motor setup is 15 output pins.  I think I can beat that down to 6 if
> only one motor at a time is to be moving.  3 to address which motor gets
> the signals, and 3 for enable,dir,step.  All dir and step can be shared,
> but the 3 bit address only enables the one addressed.

   I don't have a tool changer, so my comment may not work, but why not
have LinuxCNC send a signal out to a microcontroller, let the
microcontroller do it's job, and then have the microcontroller send a
signal back to LinuxCNC to tell it when it's done?  I do not consider
myself a programmer, but I'm still able to make the Arduino software
give me what I want.

   If a stock Arduino board doesn't have enough pins, the Teensy series
of boards have more pins available.  For me, $20.00 for the 3.2, and
$12.00 for the LC, was fairly cheap, considering what other boards on
the market cost.  Both of them use the Arduino software (with addon
sofware) as it's IDE.
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensy31.html
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyLC.html

   This is how the RepRap guys mount their boards:
http://reprap.org/wiki/A4988_vs_DRV8825_Chinese_Stepper_Driver_Boards

   The perf board is just for prototyping, and I'm a couple of mods
beyond the one in the pictures.  When I'm finally satisfied, I will have
a few circuit boards made.  I know two people here locally that are
interested in their own boards.  $48.00 for 3 from OSH Park, or $47.00
for 10 directly from China.  Decisions, decisions...

> But I'm going to be out of pocket for a bit, tomorrow I get the brakes
> redone on my GMC, If amazon manages to deliver Saturday, I'll be busy
> putting our local AM'er back on the air at full power.  Monday I am
> scheduled for a pair of saddle block shots in whats left of my back, and
> if amazon doesn't deliver till Monday, I'll have to see if I can finish
> that transmitter after I get back from the shots.  Might not be able to
> pull that off till after the shots have taken effect.  I was informed
> I'd need a driver.  Last time I drove myself home.  But that was 2 years
> ago.  As a friend was fond of saying, I'm not the man I once was, even
> once. ;-)
>
> Thanks, MC Cason.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

   I know what you mean about having back problems.  I've been disabled
for 14 years now, and live in constant pain.  I bought all of my machine
tools to keep me from going crazy.

--
MC Cason
Eagle3D - Created by Matthias Weißer