On 01/04/2016 05:34 PM, John Thornton wrote:
> Well I grounded X2 to the main ground and when I started LinuxCNC and
> started to home I got the flurry of sserial errors. So I thought about
> it for a bit and maybe the ground from the computer case to the ground
> block was creating a ground loop so I took it off. Started LinuxCNC and
> immediately go a flurry of sserial errors which locks up LinuxCNC. Mind
> you this is with the 7i77ISOL card between the 5i25 and the 7i77 which
> is supposed to block any noise in the sserial communications. The X2 to
> ground has to go...
>
> I do have a 7i92 to test out...

My guess is that you have more than one (ground-)loop. You also need to
check how the 0V (DC) line interacts with other devices/converters etc.
wrt. ground and see whether any of them also hook-up to ground somewhere
along the wiring, PCBs or supplies.

The second type of loops can be (entirely) in the 0V (DC) connection(s)
where multiple paths, with different impedances, impair the integrity of
the signal lines. You need to check how the different DC supplies
interact with the connections as they are. The problem often becomes
visible when you have both high- and low-power devices connecting and
running on the same supply and have the 0V (DC) connected so that it
(can) create(s) a loop.

--
Greetings Bertho

(disclaimers are disclaimed)