On Friday 05 February 2016 23:22:35 Dave Cole wrote:

> I'm familiar with Hill Billy engineering..
>
> Be careful when taking single phase off 3 phase.   Phase to neutral is
> what you want of course, but if you somehow make a wiring mistake (or
> they did in the past), you can easily get line to line voltage in a
> place you don't want it to be.    The result can be large amounts of
> smoke and some fire!  Don't ask how I know this...  :-/
>
> Dave

In my old home stomping grounds of central Iowa, we called that Shade
Tree Mechanicing.  6 of one, half a dozen of the other. :)

But in splitting off a 3 phase circuit, I'd sure want to be assured it
wasn't setup by the power folks as a "wild leg" circuit that was popular
65 years ago. The only fix for that, that is IMO correct, is a delta
primary, 1/1 ratio but wye secondary isolation transformer of suitable
kilowatt rating.  And just to be a jerk about it, I'd sue to put it in
front of the electrical metering, making the power company absorb the 3
to 5% loses in such a setup.

> On 2/5/2016 11:09 PM, Todd Zuercher wrote:
> > This is the last of our old grandfathered in hill billy engineer
> > machines that I have to bring into the modern era.  Adding an e-stop
> > system is in the plan as well.  I am still amazed that the
> > electrical contractor who installed the machine when we moved to the
> > new shop in 2008 agreed to put it in this way.
> >
> > My plan was to put in a new panel with a disconnect and feed it with
> > a 40amp 3-phase breaker from the main panel.  Then from the
> > disconnect split it off into 9 single phase breakers.  There already
> > are contactors and such in the control system, adding the e-stop
> > loop will be very easy.

Sounds like an interesting machine.  I know where there is an 8 spindle
machine, at a split rail fenceing maker, but I believe that one has just
2 motors, one for each 4 spindles.  It does the rail holes in the
fenceposts, doing the 3 holes each in a 3 rail fencepost, in 8 posts at
once in about 2 minutes, not counting the load/unload time.

By brute force, I don't think the tooling has been sharpened in a decade.
So the holes are ragged & splintery, but its still (shrug) a usable
hole.  Probably have 20 such posts wrapped around my place.  But the
original installer spaced them about 2 feet closer together than std, so
when I have to replace a rotted rail, I have to saw off a couple feet of
one of those rails, and get out my electric hand plane to put a new
taper on the end of the rail.