On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 7:28 AM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 March 2016 at 14:52, Tomaz T. <tomaz_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Is this normal that transmitted velocity isn't linear anymore, or is
> there something wrong with analysis or maybe SW generated spur gears are
> not suitable?
>
> It might well be correct. 12 teeth is quite a small tooth count.

Yes, as I wrote, you can't make a true involute 12 tooth gear.  You have to
"cheat".  If you look at a set of involute gear cutters the smallest size
range is 12-13 so you'd want to move up to the larger cutter (14+) for the
best tooth shape.
Your simulation is showing one speed bump per each tooth on the 12-tooh
pinion.  You'd expect this if the pinion is not a true involute shape.

As suggested you might go with mod 0.5 teeth but we have to assume you
selected the larger mod 1.0  teeth because you needed to transmit a certain
amount of torque.  SO maybe go with helical gears (they are stronger
because of the effectively wider teeth) or some other design.

I am just learning about gears myself.  Some one on another forum suggested
I read "Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design".   I found an e-book
version and it covers gear design very well with many worked examples.
Target reader is 1st year engineering student.  This is the "101" ME book.
  Turns out there are no short cuts to design, you have to iterate and try
out many ideas to see which is best.

> What happens if you re-model as mod 0.5 and 24 teeth?
>
> You might want to consider a 121:12 ratio, having a "hunting tooth" is
> normally seen as a good idea.
>
> Has Solidworks put in any profile shift?
>
> Clocks use Cycloidal gears, I think that is because they work more
> smoothly at high ratios, though normally in a clock large drives
> small.
>
> --
> atp
> If you can't fix it, you don't own it.