On 3 March 2016 at 10:00, Gregg Eshelman <g_ala...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Herringbone gear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Herringbone" isn't a term used in the industry, as far as I know.
They tend to call them "double helical"

A double helical gear needs one element to have axial float to share
the load equally.

A double helical rack and pinion with deliberate axial thrust would
give a backlash-free drive for a router table.

I once saw a large _triple_ helical gearbox at David Brown's (where my
dad used to work). That's a really stupid idea as the gears can't
float to equalise load.
(My dad pointed it out to me with a "They thought that was better in
1930, can you tell me why it's a stupid idea?")

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.