But see here's where I'm confused.  If Linux already provides priorities of
tasks:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2013/08/nice-renice-command-examples/
then the LinuxCNC as a task can run higher than anything else.
If the motion/encoder control is offloaded to a device driver, which should
have even higher priority then where does the real time kernel of the
LinuxCNC fit in?
John Dammeyer