1. I have a chosen a DRV8824 for stepper while you use DRV8825 and I think only
maximum current is different.
2. You talk about TS-4900 or BBB with Cortex-A* CPU there I had chosen an
ordinary computer.
3. Instead of FPGA I have chosen cheap STM32 micro controllers.

I work with electronic development so it is important for me to familiar with
these micro controllers while you just want to get machine running. I tested
timer output switching at around 4MHz with DMA update of compare value a few
hours ago. I also use same micro controller for servo motors, it is more or
less built for this purpose.

Regards Nicklas Karlsson