It depends on what you call a "tractor". A brand new $300,000.00 John Deere, is
a far different beast from what a state of the art tractor was 30-40 years ago
(or even 10-20).

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Albertson" <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2016 12:00:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Linuxcnc on arm

All technology is like that.  When it is new change happens very fast and
then as in matures the rate of change becomes slower.  An example is
airplanes.  We know what a Write Flyer looked like on 1905 but by 1915 the
planes used in world war I were much different and by the 1930, another 15
years we have some aluminum mono planes and by 1945 we had the P51 Mustang
and the Germans had an experimental jet fighter.    But today when a new
airliner comes out (say the 777) it looks a lot like the old one.   What
happens is that engineers think of the easy and obvious improvements first
and then as time goes by only incremental changes are left.   Other times
change is limited by economics.  The more complex device requires more
engineering time and more expensive factory equipment but it would raise
the price above what the market wants to pay.  So the product is kind of
stuck.  Tractors are that way, we can add electronic controls but the basic
design is very stable now.    Machine tool mechanics and servo motors are
what I'd call very mature technology and I'd not expect rapid change.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California