On Sat, 21 May 2016 14:48:01 -0400
Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >>I currently use a MAX485.
>
> So no special hardware like Siemens RS232 to Profibus adapters.
> That's good.

pyprofibus is not restricted to any hardware.
It has a shim PHY layer that can be adapted to anything.
It currently ships with a PHY layer that works on /dev/ttyS.

My current Raspi HAT uses the MAX485 and some tiny microcontroller to
drive the MAX485's TX-en.
The actual data goes directly from the ttyS to the MAX485.

https://bues.ch/gitweb?p=awlsim.git;a=blob;f=pilc/raspi-hat/schematics/pilc.pdf;hb=HEAD

There are other solutions to the TX-en that work with passive elements
only, though.

> >>Yes, you could do that. Or write the program in AWL to begin
> >>with. :)
>
> I've written and debugged my fair share of AWL... but I can program
> logic a lot faster in LAD. I don't get hung up on the details as much
> with LAD.
>
> Plus I have yet to see an electrician in the USA that understands
> AWL.   The techs is Germany used to be trained on it as a normal part
> of their training.  The "standard PLC programming" here used to be
> Allen Bradley SLC 500 Ladder Logic.  But that has changed over the
> last 20 years.  The introduction of the IEC programming standards has
> helped a lot.

Yep, that was more of a joke. :)
Of course it's easier to write some logic in LAD for some people.
Do you want to write an editor that lets the user write
LAD and output AWL? (Not joking here). If you write it in Python, I'll
integrate it into awlsim's GUI. :)

--
Michael