Alrighty!

OK, found and renamed that .rules to a .rules.bak file and rebooted.

Can't see the 7i92 now.  Mesaflash --device 7i92 --addr 10.10.10.10 gives "not
found".

dmesg has no "ifname" in it at all.

It does have:
[    1.820851] tg3 0000:03:08.0: eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95788) rev 3003]
(PCI:33MHz:32-bit) MAC address 00:16:17:ad:3f:ea
[    1.820858] tg3 0000:03:08.0: eth0: attached PHY is 5705 (10/100/1000Base-T
Ethernet) (WireSpeed[0], EEE[0])
[    1.820862] tg3 0000:03:08.0: eth0: RXcsums[1] LinkChgREG[0] MIirq[0] ASF[0]
TSOcap[1]
[    1.820866] tg3 0000:03:08.0: eth0: dma_rwctrl[763f0000] dma_mask[32-bit]

Danny