On Tuesday 08 November 2016 07:59:16 Mark wrote:

> On 11/07/2016 12:17 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> I ran into this problem once before.  There was an entry in one of
> >> the /etc/pam.d files that was causing me grief.  Don't remember
> >> what it was.  dmesg might have some clues as to what pam module(s)
> >> is/are not allowing the authentication to go through. Have you
> >> tried su'ing to root and running synaptic-pkexec?
> >
> > That also fails as root can't open a display.
> >
> >> Cheers,
> >> Mark
> >
> > Backatcha :)
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> What happens if you try to run startx logged in as root?
>
>   Mark

This has been a std denial for 3 or 4 years. Its not possible for another
user to use YOUR x screen.  Security thing I guess. There used to be a
work-a-round, but I used it so rarely I've now forgotten it (oldtimers),
and so has everyone else, if it still works, its wearing a top secret
label.

The pkexec thing used by some utils, like synaptic, seems to open the
synaptic gui as you, but the underlying apt runs as root or sudo.  On
the armhf versions it won't work unless you set a root pw, which the
raspian build does not have by default. Only sudo, which is rejected by
pam-auth-----. The net effect is that we have no gui-like package
manager unless possibly aptitude might run.  Having had to re-install,
losing everything unless the re-install was on a new disk, saving the
old one, 3 times now after aptitude screwed the pooch and destroyed my
system, the chances of me running that on the r-pi are somewhere between
point triple ought excrement and none.

So, what I intend to do once an orange-pi 3 arrives (its instate A/O last
night) is to use the r-pi to run linuxcnc, exporting its x stuff to the
O-pi, for rendering, which the O-Pi claims to be able to do 30 FPS in 4k
hdmi output, severe overkill for this.  And it will still fit on the
inside of the lid of the motor drivers box, getting rid of 20 lbs and
nearly a cubic foot of a Dell Dimension X86 box, and giving me an
additional 48 gpio's to play with as the r-pi talks spi at about 4 or 5
megabits to this I/O card, a Mesa 7i90HD.

Thats the plan anyway. I am still in the process of hooking the card up
to make the motors spin.