On Wednesday 09 November 2016 12:51:40 Chris Albertson wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 2:46 AM, Erik Christiansen
> <dva...@internode.on.net>
>
> wrote:
> > On 08.11.16 10:52, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > This has been a std denial for 3 or 4 years. Its not possible for
> > > another user to use YOUR x screen.  Security thing I guess. There
> > > used to be a work-a-round, but I used it so rarely I've now
> > > forgotten it (oldtimers), and so has everyone else, if it still
> > > works, its wearing a top secret label.
> >
> > If it's just on the Rpi, then an "xhost +" opens that door, at the
> > cost of security. If it's when a remote host attempts to display on
> > the Rpi, and "xhost +my_other_host" isn't enough, then commenting
> > out the line containing "/usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp" in
> > /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc should do the trick. (I saw oldtimers
> > coming, and made notes.)
>
> Yes you CAN open up your x-server like that.  In a home environment
> the security risk is low.  But I remember a coworker a few years back
> who kept the x-server on his Sun Workstation open and someone mistypes
> an IP number and he got some one else' windows on his screen.     Who
> was more at risk? Can't say.  X-11 forwarding is not a good way to do
> your banking but in a small shop it sure is better then having a dozen
> screens and terminals
>
> I have a Pi3 here and a 4th gen iPad.  Goal now is to put X11 on the
> iPad and use it as a display for the Pi3
> I also have a Synology NAS.  The operating system for the Pi3 is going
> on the NAS.  So there will be NOTHING connected to the Pi3, not even
> an SD card.    Just power and GPIO.
>
> With zero local storage backup becomes a non-issue and on the NAS I
> can set things up so that it keeps all the old versions of every file.
>  I can "un-do" changes going back months and years.
> All the files are mounted to all the computers I own so I never have
> to log into a Pi3 to change a config file
>
> It is SO much faster to work with a Pi if you never have to flash an
> SD card and never have to log into it to make changes and if a change
> does not work as expected, just set the files timestamp backward to
> put it back the way it was
>
> I think it is a mistake to use a Pi3 as if it were a PC.   They make
> sluggish and not so great PCs but are pretty useful as embedded
> processors.
>
> Try placing ALL of the Pi's files on your big computer.  The one in
> the house that has the nice chair and desk under it.   Now you can
> edit those files using the big computer

> > > Having had to re-install, losing everything unless the re-install
> > > was on a new disk, saving the old one, 3 times now after aptitude
> > > screwed the pooch and destroyed my system, the chances of me
> > > running that on the r-pi are somewhere between point triple ought
> > > excrement and none.
>
> See, what you are doing.  Using a SD card as a live storage system
> because that is what you are used to doing with a PC and a disk drive

Miss-com here Erik, the drives in question were terrabyte 3.5"ers.  They
are still good drives and I have repurposed a couple of them, one of
which is in this machine with north of 70,000 spinning hours on it now.
Its had 25 re-allocated clusters since before I reflashed it with a
newer system 4 or 5 years ago.

But when aptitude finds dependencies by the thousands that aren't there,
its busted.

> Bater to keep the files on a bigger computer where you can save you
> old setup using just a "copy" command.  Then make the change and test
> it.  Then if it does not work delete the image and rename the saved
> copy and you are back to where you were.   Never make a change to your
> only good working system image.  Make a clone and hack on the clone.
>
> I've seen saying you have to decide if the goal is cutting metal or
> being a pioneer If you want to cut metal use the LAST image of
> LinuxCNC on a PC with known hardware.

Problem is, I can't get the known hardware close enough without
eventually sucking in some swarf.  The driver box IS sealed except for
conduit knockouts. On the bottom. I intend to mount it on the back of
the post holding the monitor above the spindle. This of course requires
a usb hub and extension to put the mouse/keyboard rx buttons in range,
but that, and an 8 port gigabit switch should be headed out of amazon's
side door in another hour. My (former) garage only has one cable fished
thru the nether regions of an old, once was a garage, which is between
the main house and the new garage I built, with the floor built up,
insulation added and converted to a music room 35 years ago by the
missus when she was still teaching, right after she bought the place &
before we ever met. I'll put the new switch in the new garage, which
should give me a gigabit connection to run an x server/display on.

Thats the plan anyway, because right now the cables path is long and
interrupted by a 5 port hub in the shop building, about 75 feet of cable
there, then from that hub about 125 feet back to an 8 port gigabit
switch here in the coyote.den, all to get about 9 feet from where the pi
is now, back to the G0704 and the tv being used for a display on the
G0704. And that 125 footer is the cable thats been blowing in the wind
between the house and shop building for around 14 years now, which
includes a crosswind that logged 112 mph back in 2010 that took down
quite a few 40-50 yo trees, 3 of which were ours, not to mention a bunch
of fencing and part of my roof.  But the cable survived. Std Belden blue
jacketed cat-5. I think its been blessed or something.  You can see it
in some of the 6+ yo pix on my web page.

> > I'm not certain that it's safe to mix running apt-get and aptitude.
> > (Never been game to try it to find out.) So I never run aptitude,
> > and I've never had it all turned to goulash. (Who says pessimism
> > isn't a survival attribute?)
> >
> > Erik

Never again.

But now I need to go dig into the midden heap of my shop, and find at
least one of the Mesa Spin-X1's I bought years ago. The opto's on the
board I have between the 7i90, and the vfd don't switch near hard enough
or fast enough, to run the vfd properly.

Cheers Erik, Gene Heskett