On Tuesday 08 November 2016 11:22:13 Mark wrote:

> On 11/08/2016 10:52 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> What happens if you try to run startx logged in as root?
> >>
> >>    Mark
> >
> > This has been a std denial for 3 or 4 years. Its not possible for
> > another user to use YOUR x screen.  Security thing I guess. There
> > used to be a work-a-round, but I used it so rarely I've now
> > forgotten it (oldtimers), and so has everyone else, if it still
> > works, its wearing a top secret label.
> >
> > The pkexec thing used by some utils, like synaptic, seems to open
> > the synaptic gui as you, but the underlying apt runs as root or
> > sudo.  On the armhf versions it won't work unless you set a root pw,
> > which the raspian build does not have by default. Only sudo, which
> > is rejected by pam-auth-----. The net effect is that we have no
> > gui-like package manager unless possibly aptitude might run.  Having
> > had to re-install, losing everything unless the re-install was on a
> > new disk, saving the old one, 3 times now after aptitude screwed the
> > pooch and destroyed my system, the chances of me running that on the
> > r-pi are somewhere between point triple ought excrement and none.
> >
> > So, what I intend to do once an orange-pi 3 arrives (its instate A/O
> > last night) is to use the r-pi to run linuxcnc, exporting its x
> > stuff to the O-pi, for rendering, which the O-Pi claims to be able
> > to do 30 FPS in 4k hdmi output, severe overkill for this.  And it
> > will still fit on the inside of the lid of the motor drivers box,
> > getting rid of 20 lbs and nearly a cubic foot of a Dell Dimension
> > X86 box, and giving me an additional 48 gpio's to play with as the
> > r-pi talks spi at about 4 or 5 megabits to this I/O card, a Mesa
> > 7i90HD.
> >
> > Thats the plan anyway. I am still in the process of hooking the card
> > up to make the motors spin.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> I meant logging in as root, then running startx from the command line.
> Not su'ing or sudo'ing. Just to see of X actually starts under a root
> shell.
>

> Mark
raspian has a /root directory, but no passwd.  Its and empty dir on the
r-pi:
gene@raspberrypi:/etc $ ls /root
ls: cannot open directory /root: Permission denied
gene@raspberrypi:/etc $ sudo ls -l /root
total 0
gene@raspberrypi:/etc $ sudo ls -l /root/
total 0
Everything is done by sudo, after adding me to the sudoers file, while
logged in as first user, pi.  But I've not done anything else as user
pi, so /home/pi is nearly empty:

gene@raspberrypi:/etc $ sudo ls -lR /home/pi
/home/pi:
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 3 pi pi 4096 Oct 30 19:30 linuxcnc

/home/pi/linuxcnc:
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Oct 30 19:30 r_pi_ncfiles

/home/pi/linuxcnc/r_pi_ncfiles:
total 0

My home dir on the r-pi has it all, including a mount of a directory on
this machine for the R-Pi_nc_files, which is a copy of the nc_files from
TLM.

After I dress and vote, I'll finish up making the vfd run, then
concentrate on converting the 3 axis mill file to a 2 axis lathe setup
before I wired up the stepper drivers.

But I'll need to add a scale module to convert the speed to something the
vfd can use easier. Right now, an s1000m3 gets me about a 70% pwm
output, way above the vfd's set limit of 150Hz.  Based on the assumption
that 40 yo Century motors will probably self destruct if I spin them
more than 4500. Even at that speed the cooling fan is a fire siren.

What I wish is that the 7i90 had an a/d, so I could use the vfd's fout,
but the encoder will have to do. I have a bit of machining to do on the
3 A667's holder yet, but where I am doing this is 20 feet from the
lathe. Direct tests not practical until I move it and hook it up. But I
can put a psu and scope on it and test it with the old spindle motor.

I will probably use some nears to tell me when to switch belt positions,
with an eventual eye toward doing that just like a tool changer. I've
some motors I could rig to do that, loosen the belt, run the motor at
20Hz and use a derailier like mechanism to move the belt.  Neat idea at
least. No idea if I could make it 100% dependable. But it would sure
beat me getting down on a knee to reach it, and then back up when its
been shifted.  With my back, that can be a problem.

That will get done in the next couple days I expect.