Not to say that I don't like using a handwheel encoder for what you are
looking to do but after reading your mouse click comments I wondered if
you are aware of the following keyboard shortcuts...

 <, >    decrement or increment axis speed
 c/C     select continuous jogging
 i/I     select incremental jog, and toggle through increments
 1-9,0   set feed override to 10%-90%, 0 is 100%

You can set the increments that 'i/I' will toggle through in the ini file.

I hate mice too ;)