Oh, you are planning to MAKE the encoder?   You can always salvage one off
an old printer or copy machine.   I've found encoder wheels with thousands
of divisions and the optical sensor to read them.   Also you can find good
plastic gears and you can make a geared encoder that runs faster then the
hand wheel or even use the gear teeth and two gear tooth sensors as the
encoder.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California