On 1 March 2017 at 16:02, John Kasunich <jmkasun...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017, at 07:42 AM, Roland Jollivet wrote:
> > I had always assumed that machine MPG's generated one state change per
> > click, but following Gene's discussion, I pulled out my 1988 Fanuc MPG,
> and
> > saw that it was also 4-states per click. Obviously, one 'pulse'/detent
> >
> > Does anyone know the rationale behind this?
> > I assumed one always wants one step per click, so why not use a 25ppr
> > encoder and use every change?
> > Used as currently is, it would have to be a software /4 to be useful. You
> > could also do a /2 or /1, but no-one ever wants a x2 or x4 on their MPG
> > It's always x10, x100 or whatever, so the count/detent would always have
> > be n/4 x 1   .. or..  n/4 x10 in software.
> >
> > Alternatively, if I was going to make my own MPG, surely I would just
> make
> > a 25ppr encoder and make it 1 detent/change?
> > It's far easier for me to make, so surely it would have been for Fanuc
> too?
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >

> Smoothness of movement is 4x better with the finer resolution.
>
> --

Ok, but I would think;
Surely the result is the same if you're doing an immediate /4?

Then if you're cranking the wheel with the handle, won't software calculate
average speed and advance evenly until you stop?

And if you hold the wheel with a few fingers approaching final point and do
a slow click-click, then isn't the x4 advantage irrelevant?