On Friday 10 March 2017 11:33:05 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 03/10/2017 02:22 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> > I asked about how to characterize a servo motor here, got some good
> > answers.  Thanks. Turns out I have some capable DC servo motors.
> >
> > Now one more question:   How are people connecting these motors?
> > It looks to me that machine kit/LinuxCNC/EMC can read the quadrature
> > encoder and product PWM to drive the motor.   If so then I'D need a
> > dual H-bridge and a power supply.    It could also produce a step
> > and direction signal and I might use a Gecko 320X controller.
>
> You really can't generate PWM at reasonable frequency and
> time resolution in software.
> So, in general, you need a PWM generator in hardware.  If
> you want to use Machinekit on the Beagle Bone, the PRU is
> kind of in-between, and probably will work.  Or, Mesa and
> Pico Systems (my company) have devices that can generate the
> PWM in hardware.
> Pico Systems has the Universal PWM Controller, and PWM servo
> amplifiers to run most medium-sized servo motors.
> See
> http://pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&produc
>ts_id=19 and
> http://pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&produc
>ts_id=26 for more info.

As for this latter servo driver, I am using 2 of them, a bit off target
for a servo, but they have made truly excellent spindle drivers for 1
horse class dc brushed motors here. Response times, and extra overhead
in the power has caused me to insert a limit3 in the signal path to the
pwmgen to control the acceleration rates on the TLM (a small lathe) to
prevent destruction of drive parts due the the mass of the chuck on TLM.
In both cases I am useing hardware pwmgen's with a cycle rate in the 10
kilohertz range, so the control rate is essentially the servo-thread
rate.  That rate demands faster opto's if opto-isolated breakout boards
are used. In the case of TLM they were avoided by feeding the pwm
directly to the pwm-servo, but on the G0704, I had to pull and bypass
that one opto else the control was extremely non-linear.  With it
bypassed, control non-linearity is well within tolerance, 5% of the
requested speed from 100-2700 revs. In both cases, there is an optical
A/B/X encoder on the spindle for speed/velocity feedback, and with a PID
stage, speed vs load is very stiff. Thats very close to vfd performance
at a quite a few less sheckels.

Highly recommended by grandpa Gene, for motors rated below 160 volt dc
drive and less than 20 amps locked rotor.