On 04/10/2017 07:26 PM, Gregg Eshelman wrote:
> You wouldn't want to put R-134a in it.
> http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?133531-SubZero-532
>
> On Monday, April 10, 2017, 3:44:48 AM MDT, Kirk Wallace
> <kwall...@wallacecompany.com> wrote:On 04/09/2017 09:16 PM, Kirk
> Wallace wrote:
>
> ... snip

(just by turning the thermostat off)
>> It turns out, without adding more ice the cabinet actually got
>> cooler by 5 degrees. Uhh?
>
> ... snip

The S-Z 532 datasheet shows an R-134a version later in the serial
numbers. I suppose I could study the parts lists to see what changed and
order the R-134a parts. The tools such as the manifold gauge set, vacuum
pump, reclaiming tank, and others should not be expensive. I have enough
ice containers (plastic peanut butter jars, extra chunky of course) to
last years, plus I can move the downstairs refrigerator into the S-Z
hole while I'm working on it. I'll gain a valuable skill and tool set,
that I can use on other units in my sphere of influence. It would be
nice to tackle this "Refrigerator" once and for all. The thread link
above (thank you) will help with my issues check list.

Oops, after more thought, "You wouldn't want to put R-134a in it."
doesn't necessarily mean stick with the R-12, but there may be a better
alternative. I'll have to work on this some more.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/