Do test runs in wood or machinable wax or plastic. Could try spraying a dry
graphite film on the cutter. NAPA auto parts has spray cans of that. Don't mill
the crappy aluminum alloy.

On Thursday, April 13, 2017, 8:46:03 AM MDT, Todd Zuercher
<zuerc...@embarqmail.com> wrote:Here I go again.  Unfortunately, the aluminum
jig was a big hit, and now they want more.  So I thought I'd take a crack at a
trochoirdal milling path.  My first try gave mixed results.  Looking for advice.
My CAM software still doesn't have a trochoirdal option, so a faked it with a
line of small circles strung together.
I tried milling with a Vortex 1230 1/4" solid carbide up spiral @ 18000rpm feed
rate set to 100ipm (but due to machine acceleration limits the feed was really
only 60ipm).  The path was made with 3/8" circles with a female climb milling
path strung together with a 0.05" step, milling 1/4" deep.  It cut beautifully,
for about an inch, then the flutes clogged and the bit promptly broke.  This
was a dry test cut in the Mic-6 chewing gum and I forgot to turn on the air
blast.

Suggestions on where I should go from here?  Smaller step?  Lower or higher
RPM? Larger circle (to allow faster feed)?  I know Getting the air blast turned
on and a squirt of WD-40 will help, but will that be enough?  Better Aluminum
stock should also help, I have 3 sheets of 6061 for the next ones, but I would
like to cut a few things from the Mic-6 scrap left over from the last one.