Fiber optics is not hard to use.   One of the easiest systems is the
one used for audio cables in your TV set and stereo.  they call it
Toslink digital audio or S/PDIF.  You buy the cables with ends
attached at Best Buy or way-cheeper at monoprice.com   Using a
consumer cable makes it easy to buy and cheap.

The sockets you need on both ends are active 5 volt devices that act
like TTL buffer chips or like opto isolators.  Place a 5V logic signal
in one end and it comes out the other.  The sockets are mass produced
for the consumer market and are not expensive, about a buck each end.
  Can go about 20MHz   Toshiba makes them and I'd guess others too.
Digikey, Mouser and other sell them.  They work EXACTLY like opto
isolators.

There is another kind of fiber you can buy cheap and easy that is
intended for Ethernet.   This is another mass market product that is
easy to find.   Bt you can't cable the cables at Best Buy and it costs
more but this system goes up to 1 GHz if you buy the right kind

You want a system where the cables are available at retail outlets and
are already cut and terminated at each end.    Toslink uses cheap
plastic cable and is limited length.  But I've used the Ethernet kind
and we bought it on a two kilometer spool.  Terminating bulk glass
fiber is a skill, about as hard as hand soldering BNC or N connectors
on coax.

Possible the BEST why to use fiber for CNC that would require zero
modifications and using only off the shelf stuff is to get an Ethernet
linked Mesa FPGA board and use a fiber segment to connect the Mesa
card to the PC.     But WHY???  Cat 5 wired Ethernet is already
galvanically isolated using tiny transformers on each end.   THAT is
one of the best parts of Ethernet.  But fiber is even lightening proof
if you need that.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California