Could something like
https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/afbr-1528cz/66628 be useful?
They are about $12 each but operate at 5Mbps so perhaps you could multiplex
some of the signals. There is also an eval kit
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/development-boards-kits-programmers/eval
uation-and-demonstration-boards-and-kits/787?k=hfbr-1506amz  You can get
10-foot fibre patch cables with SMA terminations to avoid making your own.

Pricing
> starts at $2.15 with a 6" light pipe, Available up to 3940" long. :) With
the far
> end of that pipe facing into an avalanche mode transistor, mounted exactly
> the same as the led, and substituted for the BOM that puts the
opto-isolation
> into the stepper drivers input circuits, it ought to be essentially free!
What