Thanks, Dave.  I'll have to learn more about laser tracking systems.

The system will be housed in a well insulated, temperature controlled building.
 Ideally,  temperature won't vary more than set point +/- 4 degrees F.

Also, positioning accuracy +/- 1/8 inch seems like it should accommodate
thermal expansion/contraction.