John,

Don't get hung up on text config files.  There is not that many. Most things are done in two files (2). You just admitted that you have done some programming..I knew that before..  so you have no excuse.
If you can program Delphi, you can do the config for a LinuxCNC setup.
There are also wizards for setting up a stepper system and a servo system.
There are also sample configs to get you up and running fast.
Its really not hard.. I would be shocked if you thought it was difficult.  (SHOCKED!) Now it is not Mach3 (which I have used) so you need to get past the fact that the config is not point and click, but you can do so many things with LinuxCNC that are impossible with Mach3...   I'm not going there... but its true.   Comparing LinuxCNC to Mach3 is really not a comparison.    They are totally different animals.

You can say that LinuxCNC should be more user friendly ..for the masses.. so everyone can have a LinuxCNC mill in their basement .. and a CNC lathe in their garage ... etc... but you... you have no excuse..
I know you are searching for a small solution.
A BBB might be worthwhile for an OEM solution who does it once and replicates it 150 times, but for a one-off...
Why not use an Intel NUC with a Mesa Ethernet connected board?
Velcro the NUC PC to the back of your monitor.

Apparently it does work.
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/32275-anyone-tried-the-intel-n3150-cpu-atom-4-core

Dave