Hi Peter;

My G0704's computer has upchucked. Boots slow, & last time the keyboard
works is entering the passwd.  Then it takes at least an extra 30
seconds to show the x screens. But no mouse on the login screen, and no
keyboard.

Coming back in here and logging in via ssh, dmesg looks fairly normal
with about 4 instances of it finding the logitech unifying receivers and
registering them as mouse of keyboard. Xorg.0.log is silent on mouse and
keyboard.

I rebooted several times and finally pulled the cover, finding a splash
of smoke on an alu bar I'd added to the cover to hold the rear end of
the 5i25 into the pci socket, but it has no evidence of an electrical
contact on it, just the smoke from a totally destroyed ptc that would
have been about 1/16" away. The alu was a short piece of 3/8" angle,
glued to the top of a wooden bar, so it wasn't grounded, glued to the
lid. All positioned to make sure the rear of the card couldn't work its
way out of the pci socket. That seemed to have worked as it was solidly
seated in the mobo socket. Removed the card, still no mouse or keyboard.
I may have found the short, a box made of dbl-sided pcb was laying
against the side of the cable from the db25 on the card, to the bob's
db25 connector on top of the main motor controller/psu box, possibly
shorting the end of the cable where it was clipped off nearly flush with
side of the IDC connector. Most likely culprit at least.

Plugging a new(er, I don't recall if it was programmed) 5i25 card in,
dmesg says it found a xxxx:5125 card.  Sounds like a blown pci bus line.
OTOH, TLMonster has a 5i25 in it, and it says its a 5125 too.  And its
working ok. False Flag?

I've a 2nd rock64, still in the box in front of me, and I found a module
while making a fully preemptable kernel for it, that makes a parport out
of some gpio pins. Do you think it could be fast enough to talk to a
7i90?  And how long do you think the cables maximum usable length might
be? I believe the current cables are about 40" and theres very little
slack.

Replacing the decade old Dell with the rock64 would reduce the 24/7 power
draw by about 200 watts, a most desirable thing.

Or alternatively, can this Dell's supposedly blown mobo be repaired by
replacing a known easily damaged part (that I've not found yet)?

Thanks Peter.