On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 7:43 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> Hi Peter;

> Or alternatively, can this Dell's supposedly blown mobo be repaired by
> replacing a known easily damaged part (that I've not found yet)?

Yes,  There is an easy to replace part.  Not knowing which Dell you have
I can only show a generic example.  The big thing is to make sure the
CPU socket and memory type is the same.   Cost less than $20.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACTN65J1897

This are cheaper to replace than prepare.  Repairing a 4 or 6 layer PCB is
impossible as most of the traces are buried under ground and power planes
 and even if you could fix it the fix might change the length or impedance
 of a trace.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California