> The cheapest system I could find is by Leadshine in China and the
> smallest size controller is $350 per axis but they are unable to
> support you if you are in North America buying low retail quantities.
>
> I looked into what it would take to build a DIY Ethercat based client
> controller.   The minimum buy-in to get started with DIY Ethercat
> slaves requires assess to Beckhoff ASIC chips, the ability make your
> own 4 sided PCBs and re-flow soldering ovens.   Basically professional
> level electrical engineering skills and equipment
>
> I looked into using FPGA solutions and found the low-end FPGA
> development boards are not nearly fastest enough.

 These is exactly wath I think .... Only that you can use Estun instead of
Bosh for 1/4 of the price .... but there is no security on ethercat in this
case.
That being said, the biggest problem is the slaves and the chip asic ...
anyway I must add that even slaves that already exist on the market do not
have the same performance that can give a plc (true plc non softplc)
commercial too low cost. And this is the real obstacle that has stopped my
tests to create a professional ethercat linuxcnc system. I would say that
the problem of axle driving is secondary, indeed the axle piloting already
well, so less than having to create machines with a rt lower than 1ms.
For adding some other info, there are some fpga card redy with asic chip
and custom develop in C or ready to connect at your pc, but the cost is the
same of pc. So the system is too expensive.

I am quite convinced that in two or three years all these obstacles will
disappear, so that bus rt over ethernet will be within reach. And it is not
said that the favorite will be ethercat. There is a lot of movement over
bus rt over ethernet .... so you can expect everything ... think what might
go for example if google wanted to come back to bostondynamics .... it's a
very extreme example but it's just for make the idea.

bkt