> Maybe I did not write clearly enough. The drivers and circuit board layout
> constraint is the same for Ethercat as ordinary Ethernet but the internal
> handling in the chip is different so a chip which could talk Ethercat is
> needed.

++ about slave ++

Yes, 100% correct a chip is needed.  He uses Microchip’s LAN9252   This is
the most expensive part on the board.  They cost about $13 each.
I thought such chip were hard to acquire but no.

++ about master ++

I also just found linux master software.   Goes with the demo posted to
youtube.

I looked at the demo hal file.  It is very simple.  He writes planer's
output (x,y,z) directly to Ethercat device at the servo period.
there is no feedback, just writes to the Ethernet.

 look here on GitHub for both the snapshot of MachineKit he used and the
ethercat software. looks
 https://github.com/aschiffler <https://github.com/aschiffler>

--

Chris Albertson