On Sunday 07 January 2018 11:40:23 Kurt Jacobson wrote:

> Gene, check out Shars tools CBN wheels. They are decent quality and as
> of a few years ago at least were very economical. I have not traded
> with them since they were a small operation without much of an online
> presence, but they were very good people to deal with. www.shars.com
>
> Happy new year!
>
> Kurt Jacobson
> 505-303-1933
> Sent from Mobile

I have their catalog as it was included (in a separate package) with my
purchase of an 8" independent 4 jaw chuck I had purchased from them. It
does show a few CBN wheels but all are for their tool grinder, with the
abrasive in quite narrow locations on the wheel rim or face. No smaller,
flat faced, arbor mounts. When sharpening HSS I had been putting a 6"
one face 1200 grit diamond wheel in the milling machine spindle, then
pinching the tool between the jaws of a 3" chuck mounted on a 4"
motorized table standing on edge, with the tool tilted for relief angles
as its pinched, then running the table 60 degrees either side of
vertical to polish the edges. Usually bringing the z down until I could
hear contact, then sweeping x to distribute the wear on the diamond
while lowering z at 0.00007 or less a minute. I get phenomenally sharp
tools but it's slow, particularly when shaping a new piece of HSS.

And that got it hot enough to wreck the face of the disk at 300 revs.
Then I'm reading where there is a chemical reaction between the carbon
in HSS steel and diamond that makes diamond a poor choice, and that on
HSS I should be using CBN. Cubic Boron Nitride.

The 6" diamond is really too big, not enough y movement of my mills
table.

A 3 or 4" diameter wheel would work better, turning slow enough to keep
the heat down. But those seen to be made out of un-obtainium.

I'll give Shars a ring tomorrow to see what they may have added to the
catalog since issue 2016A. They have a couple other gizmo's I could use
too.

> On Jan 7, 2018 11:28 AM, "Gene Heskett" <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I appear to be learning that one can't use diamond on an HSS tool,
> > as I've managed to kill a 1200 grit diamond faced 6" disk.
> >
> > But has anyone found a source of CBN wheels that don't start at $200
> > and go on up to triple digit prices?

Thanks, Kurt.