On Thursday 05 April 2018 17:28:26 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 05 April 2018 09:26:59 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 April 2018 09:20:11 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > On Thursday 05 April 2018 07:56:17 Ken Strauss wrote:
[...]
> > > The pillows, made from Mahogany, cut into end grain, but before I
> > > clamp it down, I'm going to glue on some oak or ash strips under
> > > the cutout to help prevent the mahogany from splitting because it
> > > will have a tight grip. Hopefully that will allow a carbide tool
> > > to make the slot for the m4 socket head bolt that should lock the
> > > brass tap carrier slug from rotating in the R8. The one I tried
> > > prior, the whole thing slipped on the table, but it looks as if
> > > the carbide tooling can cut it once I get it mounted firmly. I cut
> > > into the end grain because that direction should offer the best
> > > crush resistance when I tighten the rest of the clamps down.
> > > Theoretically.  And a heck of a lot easier than carving up a huge
> > > block of more $ alu.
>
> Got the braces glued on, gave the titebond III an hour to get a grip
> and finished the Grizzly 7/8 R8 so its usable, but when I switched it
> out for the first of the Korean ones it sounded different when the
> tool touched. Went ahead and drove the machine with what should have
> cut a 7mm wide "key", but when testing for fit, the screw head was
> half a mm bigger than the cut. Stopped the spindle, and the leading
> edge of the flutes of a 3 flute, very high twist SC mill I had sourced
> from ebay a few months back as part of a 2-4-6-8mm kit for about a $20
> bill, were all shattered away for about a mm back from the edge. I can
> finish the cut with a dremel, but these things are HARDENED. And I
> only have US sourced 1/4" 4 fluter's left. I'll go waste one of those.
>  Or finish it with the die grinder, then try one of my 1/4" 4 fluter's
> on #3.
>
> Which just proves that nothing is ever as simple as it appears...
>
> EDM maybe? I can do that too, on the little mill.

Here is the 3rd one of those R8's I've made a key slot in. It fits the
head of a m4 socket-head bolt, with a couple thou of clearance.

The Merican SC 1/4" 4 flute up spiral walked right thru it, at creep
speeds of course. And of course pulling the tap out of the collet, crept
out about 1/4" on the last of the 3.

Now I can have 3 taps of various sizes all ready to go for a given
project. But I made 52 of the brass slugs, so it looks like I'll have to
get with it and make a new box to keep my mounted taps in.  And stamp
the face of the slug with the tap thats in it of course. Then the 340
million dollar question is where the heck do I put it... :(