On 04/17/2018 03:56 PM, Dave Cole wrote:

If you Google absorption chiller you will see that Ammonia is again being considered for solar -refrigeration systems. I really don't understand why, but there is a lot of chatter on that topic.

Direct thermal refrigeration may make sense. Sun heats a water loop, drives off the ammonia, and then it is reabsorbed to cool the cold side. You could do the same with lithium bromide, although that is a salt that could end up clogging things.
Ammonia can be a hazard, but its used all of the time by farmers for fertilizer around me. I've been exposed to ammonia gas and it is not fun.
When confined to a building, it can cause MASSIVE explosions. The fire marshalls just LOVE ammonia systems!

Jon