On 17/04/18 11:14, Chris Albertson wrote:
If you are thinking about LED lighting, don't try and replace incandescent
bulbs.  That works and is what people do but if you are building from
scratch yu design the LEDS into the architecture.

I've replaced almost all the existing light bulbs with LED ones. The best change was in the workshop where the fluorescent tubes are now LED versions. Instant start and no flickering! But while fitting them I began to wonder if now is the time the lighting circuits in the house simply move to 12V DC? The kitchen has a number of 12V transformers powering the lights. The LED bulbs are taking a 20th of the power the original bulbs used so one power pack could power the whole lot with power left over! But thinking about the 'off grid' situation, a 12V battery with a low dropout regulator could provide lights efficiently. While bigger appliances need 'mains', quite a number around here are also 12V powered, so 'building from scratch' could a DC supply direct off a storage system be an alternate way forward?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL