Late reply - just back from a week off-net.

On 17.04.18 11:49, Lester Caine wrote:
> But thinking about the 'off grid' situation, a 12V battery with a low
> dropout regulator could provide lights efficiently. While bigger
> appliances need 'mains', quite a number around here are also 12V
> powered, so 'building from scratch' could a DC supply direct off a
> storage system be an alternate way forward?

As mentioned upthread, a linear regulator wastes power. But cheap
switchmode power supplies tend to radiate RF, and wipe out radio
reception in my remote rural location. For that reason, rather than make
the aforementioned LED lamp dimmers switchmode, they will be linear
current sinks, and one central very well screened & filtered SMPS will
drop the 48v battery bank to 21 or 22v. The big 10W LEDs I bought on
fleabay for 83c each are like searchlights on 1A @ 10v. Two of them in
series (a pair of matched luminaires) = 20v + 1 or 2v for the linear
current sink, setting 1A max for LED survival. As even 20/22 is 91%
efficiency, I'll go with that for the complete absence of RFI from the
distributed units.

So long as the circuit breakers or fuses protect the wiring, rather than
the other way round, safety oughtn't be an issue. Nor will arcing, as
MOSFETs will do all the current control.

Erik