On Wednesday 02 May 2018 11:16:29 jeremy youngs wrote:

> Given my issues with this computer I have decided to stop beating a
> dead horse. I'm going to rpi 3 this thing.

Now I may rain on your parade. Based on my experience trying to find a
decent pre-emptible kernel, I'm not sure I'd recommend a r-pi for a
beginner.  Shop ebay for a D525mW intel motherboard.  The best r-pi
kernel I have tried, still needs multople reboots before it gets a
solid, usable comm path from its mouse or keyboard. The worse
manifestation is seen by the use of the keyboard arrow keys to jog the
machine, but the mouse response can be equally flaky. It throws away
keyboard and mouse events, most often noticeable by the jog continuing
when your finger is removed from the key. Rebooting it when that is
noticed changes this behaviour and eventually  you hit a bootup that
Just Works(tm). And it will usually work fine until the next reboot.
Mine has an uptime of:

 17:56:28 up 35 days, 22:14,  3 users,  load average: 0.84, 0.83, 0.85

Right now.

> Gene I am addressing this
> to you, what is my build requirements?

When ready to move machinery, I'll send you a shrunken head version of
debian jessie you can burn to a u-sd card, 32 and 64GB GB Samsung's seem
to be rock solid. The shrunken head version means its a disk image that
has a resize2fs in its initial bootup, so when you've rebooted it a
second time it has recognized the card and expanded the filesystem to
use the full cards size, which makes the cards wear leveling work for a
loooong time. Up to then, the image is perhaps 500 megs more than the
occupied stuff on the disk.

> I.e. what hardware is needed
> essential? . I have the 7i90, an svga monitor, USB keyboard and mouse.
> The rpi has WiFi so it can network with my phone.

I have too many neighbors with wifi, and they love to use my bandwidth,
so the wifi on the pi is turned off. I only turn it on in the router
when my kids are here for a weekend, which gives them a hotspot for
their smartphones, but they still cannot see my home network. dd-wrt
gives you total control.

> 7i42 will come as
> soon as I get a few things out of the shop.

You'll need 3 of them, and 3 50 pin scsi-ii style cables for
interconnects between the 7i90 and the machinery. Buy the cable, 2 feet
is 2x what you'll need, a 6 pack of the 50 pin connectors and make your
own jumpers in the shop vice for a lot less money.

Theres a board on the oshpark site that is the basis for the spi
connection between the pi and the 7i90. I think Jon drew it, so he might
be able to supply that number. You'll need 3 teeny little chip r's of
120 ohms to source terminate the cable from the pi to the 7i90. Thats a
fast bus.

If you insist on servo's intead of steppers, you'll need a couple mesanet
spinx1's to interface between the pwm signals and the servo's analog
control inputs.  Or use Jon's (Pico Systems) pwm-servo amps, which are a
great product for around $130 a motor. I am using 2 of them to handle
the 1 horse rated PMDC motors, one hanging off the back of my 7x12, and
the OEM 1 horse of a Grizzly G0704, probably tapping it for close to 2
hp when its at full song.

> A couple pics of interim servo motor mounts , I slapped together. The
> y axis motor mount needs a bit more work.
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hGnhYLYiY-NIqw9cBkR92UlNIlIJzKuG/view
>?usp=drivesdk

On a lathe version of LCNC, thats an x axis, y is skipped and carriage
left<->right is z.

With steppers, on the r-pi, no PID's are needed, and they double the
computing the pi has to do, and you'll need them to control the servo's
well.